Thursday, January 3, 2008

After the diagnosis

I had my surgery on 12/18/07. The worst part of the surgery--as always--was the anticipation. I worked myself up worrying about it and preparing for the lack of mobility. But when the time came, the surgery was quick. I was in the hospital at 7am and out by 1pm. I don't remember much about it. Uh, I suppose that's cuz I chose general anesthesia, which I highly recommend when it's an option. I've had other surgeries when I could smell, hear, and see things happening to me that I really shouldn't have. So I gladly wussed out and chose a general. The days of toughing it out are definitely behind me.

Anyway, Hubby drove me home in the afternoon. I was woozy and sleeping on and off (best sleep I'd had in a long while). And, most importantly, that very evening I was able to get myself into the bathroom for the necessities via crutches. OK, so it was a most ungraceful visit, but I was surprised that I was able to even get up after the surgery. I was more mobile than I thought I would be.

Hubby helped me keep the knee well iced 24/7...and by 12/20 I was starting to enjoy the guilt-free rest imposed by the surgery. Thank God for NetFlix and a tall stack of unread books. I caught up on some great entertainment made extra delicious under the influence of a little prescribed Vicodin. Ice, movies, books, and a little TLC have surely helped me heal quickly. I was on crutches for about five days. On Christmas Day I started limping about with one crutch. By New Year's I was pretty mobile. No crutches but I walked like Frankenstein. Or John Wayne after a really long ride. Naturally I practiced both walks to silly perfection. Small animals and young children scattered in fear.

I have more to say about recovery and the details that I will write about in the next post. For now, though, I think a picture's worth a thousand words; so I share my single incision on the front of my right knee ten days after surgery. It looks more painful than it is. (What? You'd rather have had the thousand words?)

The doc pulled out one of the two nodular tumors from behind my kneecap (or "patella" as those of us who are now way too versed in knee anatomy call it). The tumor removed was the largest and the one that was making my knee lock up. Lab tests confirm that it was (in doctor-language): "consistent with a diagnosis of PVNS."

I remember, btw, a doctor-photographer in the operating room. I asked my onc doc about this and he says pictures were indeed taken of my knee during the surgery. So...because I have a morbid or mechanical curiosity or both...I've asked to get copies of the photos. I'm very curious to see what that tumor that created all this fuss actually looked like. I should get the photos within the next two weeks, which I will joyfully share with you. I am certain those photos will be even more "attractive" than today's.

And by the way, a shout out to "kimberleesblog.blogspot.com" The documentation of her struggles with PVNS have been a source of great interest and encouragement to me. There really do seem to be so few PVNS stories on the Web. And, believe me, I know! I must have spent 60 hours scouring the Internet for first-person accounts of this disease. Kimberleesblog is not only a joy to read (if only to learn about her accidentally transexual cat), but very candid in describing her full range of physical and emotional feelings with PVNS. Thank you "TallGall." My blog will always be but a shadow of yours. I write merely to present another POV re PVNS. :)

3 comments:

TallGal said...

Hey Karen! Thanks for the shout out! Like you I had searched for a long time for other personal accounts of PVNS that didn't involve scary words like amputation and cancer... and didn't find any. So that's how my blog got started. Not sure if youhave done so or not, but I contacted google to see if they could ensure my blog would come up when someone googled PVNS. I am not sure how I did it, but I think it was part of the blogger dashboard... that's how I got people viewing it besides my immediate family and friends. Your incision looks like mine in the front... I am amazed that you are doing so well so soon. Makes me wonder if my long recovery is due to the rear incision. Hmm...

K. said...

Hey, TallGal:

I have another tumour in the back of my knee, too. Did you? My doc is choosing to let that one stay until it becomes a genuine nuisance. He has warned me that if he has to go into the back of the knee, recovery is much more involved, which I take to mean more painful, more time-consuming, more complicated. I suspect you're living that out right now. I'm sorry to hear you still suffer joint stiffness. That seems to be my challenge right now, too...but not compounded by surgery on the front AND back at the same time. I assume that's what you had done?

I'm thinkin' your long recovery is DEFINITELY due to the rear incision. My doc was telling me that the back of the knee is so darned complex with lymph nodes, major arteries, nerves, etc., that surgery back there results in a tough healing. He said, "You think this is rough..." He was referring to my front incision, as I asked the likelihood for removing the back tumour.

BTW, I found you through Google, so I think your efforts paid off. :)

Hang in there!

TallGal said...

Hey Karen,

Yes I had the front and back incisions at the same time. I do think that is why my recovery is so long. I see progress every day... but want it to be more...and to be faster. But... it feels a lot better than pre-surgery! It's interesting that you have a tumor that isn't going to be removed yet. My tumors were within the lining of my knee...I am not sure of their specific locations. Keep blogging! You are doing great!