Friday, January 25, 2008

The real story


Here’s what really happened in physical therapy:

1) I learned that I should avoid limping. It creates problems. I should take my time and focus on limp-free ambulation. Otherwise, I could be creating future back problems and such. Interesting.

2) Massaging the scar will help separate it from the injuries beneath the skin and is likely to encourage the scar to disappear altogether.

3) I’m at 80% mobility compared to my other knee. Not bad.

4) It’s natural for me to feel more confident going UP stairs than DOWN. That’s because one has more control going up and less going down. The physical therapist encouraged me to use the stairs—but carefully and slowly to build up my strength.

5) She told me that there is less pressure on my knee if it is straight…so I was encouraged to put my leg out straight when seated at my desk at work. (I was trying to get a prescription out of her for me to put my feet up on the desk. She was only slightly amused.)

6) Lastly, she introduced me to a fun exercise. She gave me a big rubber band that I'm to slip into the door jam. I then sit in front of the closed door and pull against the band to build up strength around my knee. I’m sorry, but that one makes me laugh.

1 comment:

TallGal said...

Gotta love those elastic bands... so colorful... keep up with the exercises!