Thursday, January 17, 2008

One month out

Tomorrow marks one month since my surgery. To celebrate I think I'll get on my bike and make one small, ever-so-careful victory lap around my neighborhood. My hubby will be running behind me the whole time yelling, "Are you CRAZY?!" Afterall, I've been babying this knee for a WHOLE month and a bike ride is wickedly dangerous, right? Nope. I don't think so. I'm gonna give it a try. Stay tuned and I'll let you know how it goes...whether I write from my comfy chair or a hospital gurney.

By the way, I had quite a breakthrough moment in my recovery yesterday. Ladies, you'll appreciate this: I wore heels all day. I stopped wearing my flats and braved the dizzying heights of my two-inch work heels. I'm not particularly tall (Read between the lines. She's saying she's downright short), so I kind of miss being able to at least look a person in the chin. The flats were appropriate when I was so shaky, but I'm feeling pretty stable these days. Well, you know what I mean. My KNEE is pretty stable...stable enough to shove my foot into an elevated pointy-toed shoe-vice and trust my knee to respect the situation. In fact, I heard myself proudly announcing to a friend the other day that I haven't fallen over once in the last month. Now, under normal circumstances this would be a less than stellar achievement. But given the surgery, the crutches, the Vicodin, and the assorted blankets, computer cords, and odds and ends that often clutter the floor between me and the master bathroom, why it's simply a miracle I haven't face-planted at least once. May I always have the good fortune to be vertical when I want and, er, horizontal when I want, too. (I'm not sure diagonal is ever a good thing.)

No comments: